Menstrual cycle/ Periods are natural, normal body process which purifies or cleanses body through releasing the tissues that are not needed in the form of blood. It involves hormonal changes that cause development of eggs, ovulation and periods in which the lining of uterus is shed out. Periods make women physically strong and mature. You can feel mood swings, period cramps, pelvic pain during your periods. It’s natural to have pain but it also depends on what you serve your body?
All you need to do in your periods is just serve healthy food to yourself. Period’s drain a lot of energy in you which needs to be stored largely again, all you need is getting essential nutrients in these 5 days. Women should eat healthy especially when they are on their periods. For this, consulting a women health consultants is essential, consult and decide your healthy diet on your periods with the dietitians.
To have something essential, you should first know what to avoid which makes easy to sort the essential nutrients.
1) Do not eat processed and preserved food which include junk food, frozen food, bacon, canned soups, papads and pickles etc. that are gone through a process to preserve and use it for a long.
2) Avoid dairy products like paneer, cream and cheese, they are high in arachidonic acid which can cause menstrual cramps.
3) Avoid coffee it increases blood pressure and heart rates and worsens PMS symptoms.
4) Do not consume fatty food like burgers, pizzas, meat, cream based desserts which my worsen more and cause dehydration and dryness.
4) Avoid refined grains or processed cereals which may cause constipation and bloating.
5) Also avoid high salt content like chips, bakery products with baking soda, canned products, canned soups,etc which causes water retention.
1) Eat fruits like bananas and watermelons which contain high levels of potassium and vitamins that help to reduce tiredness and weakness and watermelons also help to reducing the bloating of the stomach.
2) Whole grains can be a good choice during your periods.
3) Consume Yoghurt that acts like a probiotic and comes with power-packed nutrients.
4) Can also have almonds and pulses and legumes.
5) Fresh fishes containing omega 3 fatty acids helps in relaxing the muscles which help you to reduce cramps.
6) And your favourite is in the list! Chocolates? Yes Chocolates but Dark! Dark chocolate is full of magnesium which helps you to balance your mood swings!
Healthy diet and exercise is essential not only during periods but also before and after periods that is through-out the month for optimum health and minimum of period symptoms. Do the do’s and avoid the don’ts. Have a happy period!
Siddhi Takalkar-founder of NutriWorks is a Registered Dietitian in Pune with a Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics. She has a vast experience in advising diets for various health conditions and is the best Dietitian and Nutritionist in Pune for all your Nutritional needs.